Allrighters' website

Go to or visit the Allrighters' website.

Sunday 26 January 2014

The Railwayman by Eric Lomax



The Allrighters are likely to read another 60 books or so in 2014. Reviews of all these books will be posted on Amazon.uk under the Alexander Kreator from Norfolk name. 

Where a book is given a five star rating it will be given a review on this blog as well.

The Railwayman by Eric Lomax - First published in 1995

Cover 3.0. I had the pre-film book cover. I would have included a larger picture of an actual engine used on the line.



I had been recommended to read this book and had this copy in my reading pile for over a year. The film release caused me to start reading the book.



I knew the ingredients would not be very pleasant and might prove to be harrowing. The actual book is to me very well written and gripped me as a reader through to the end. The description of the necessary ingredients to become a steam engine fanatic are a delight. Ditto the details of his background in radio. Both these factors caused him problems when captured by the Japanese. I knew something of the WW2 railway of death from a relation of my sister in law who survived who to me in my innocence always seemed withdrawn and unwell when I met him. Poor man I now know the likely reason why.



Eric Lomax as the main person in the book describes his life succinctly leaving enough for one’s imagination to go much further. His descriptions of his treatment and the conditions in the camps, hospitals and prisons painted a grim picture. No wonder he then suffered all his life when he returned home nearly a completely broken man physically and worse mentally only to face other tragedies. The book could have been written much more deeply and as a result it would have been much longer and maybe had less impact. Its relative shortness to me was a bonus.



If the book had been fiction I would not have accepted the facts and emotions of the ending as at all probable. The ending in the spirit of forgiveness gives one hope for the future.



The flow and speed of the book were well in line with Allrighters’ ideal expectations.



There were a few surprises including at least some apparently normal activity by the Japanese.  Eric Lomax must have been a very strong personality.



I am happier reading non fiction war books than fiction war books and this read was no exception. One cannot say one enjoys a book describing the horrors of war but from an interest and educational standpoint the book will remain in my mind and may well prove to be the best or one of the best reads of 2014.



I may read the book again after seeing the film.



A five star rating is consistent with other books I have rated at this level.



Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment